Into the Woods

I've taken a long break from blogging, not because I was tired of it, but because I have had absolutely no time. Back at work, teaching, and now attending graduate school, it's been difficult to find the time. Tyler and I did; however, patch a few hours together to get out of the desert and into the wilds of Flagstaff a few weekends ago, and it was exactly what we needed.

We got up early in the morning and were in the car by 7am.  We decided to skip breakfast, packed a thermos of coffee, and headed to Flagstaff, passing through the desert and up into the mountains.

As we approached the mountain town, our stomachs were yelling at us. With a few searches on my phone, I found a great Mexican diner, serving up incredible breakfast plates.

MartAnne's makes incredible chilaquiles, as we found out by looking around the room and pointing to it when we ordered. They were served with beans, hash browns, and a fried egg. Needless to say, we didn't finish our heap of food, but we went to bed that night dreaming about it.

We drove for about another 30 minutes before we came to our campsite. It was dispersed camping which means there isn't fee and it's first come, first served. I think we got the best one around.


Tyler chopped us up some wood we'd bought in town, preparing us for dinner, while I got our sleeping quarters in order. It was early afternoon, so we decided to go for a hike.

We took the Inner Basin trail.

It led us through a forest of aspen that was absolutely stunning.


We climbed higher into the mountain and deeper in the forest, until finally, as if out of nowhere, we were surrounded by peaks. We'd reached the Inner Basin.


We stopped for lunch, since it was clearly the perfect picnic local. 

In total, it took us about two and a half hours to complete the entire train and get back to our campsite. We changed and freshened up a bit (as best you can when camping without facilities), and put our feet up until the sun began to set.




Temperature: 55°F

On the menu:

     hot dogs


     salad in a bag

     wine & beer

Morning came when the sun began rising across the valley below. It eventually peaked between the mountains and turned our tent into a glowing orb. There's something very satisfying about being woken by the sun rather than an alarm clock.



Temperature: 43°F

On the menu:





We spent the early part of the morning bundled up in hats and jackets, sipping on hot coffee, made fresh on the fire.

We watched the sun come up, had our breakfast, enjoyed our coffee, and eventually, at about mid-day, packed up our little weekend getaway and headed back into town.


By dinner, we were back in Phoenix, grinning from ear to ear thanks to our incredible, all be it short, weekend. I think I see many more camping trips in our future.

Stay tuned for more travel, coming soon, this time across the Atlantic, sans tent.